maandag 10 maart 2008

Project proposal presentation preperation

Today was all about the project proposal presentation which must be held at my school tomorrow. In this presentation I will give my working title, "The Multi-Touch Board Game Experience". Honostly I am not really satisfied with that title but I can't come up with a better one so I just leave it. Next I will need to answer the question how my subject is related to my field of studies.

Your finger as an input on single touch devices, instead of buttons, mouse or keyboard is nothing new. We can see it in most devices we know today like mobile phones, pda's, iPod's, etc. The game industry picked this up as well and it was Nintendo that decided to bring up the first handheld console that uses a touch screen as an input for it's games.

Looking at the big companies like Apple, who brought the new iPod Touch and the iPhone, Microsoft, who is going to bring us Surface and Windows 8, and Philips with it's Entertaible we can see that they are experimenting with a new technology, multi-touch, and are currently doing a lot of research on it's potential.

Although I don't know much about Apple's connection with games I do know that Microsoft hired a group called Carbonated games to design and develop games to test their Surface and that Philips has a whole research team on how traditional board games can be modernized. My goal is to contribute in this research about multi touch gaming.

I first wanted to do research on how games can benefit from a multi-touch device, but as that's way to broad I narrowed it down to board game translations. So my research question for now will be: "How can you properly translate a traditional board game to a multi-touch edition?". This is what my supportive narrative will be covering.

For my project, I will build a multi-touch table and as an end result I will have a playable multi-touch version of a traditional board game.

That's basicly what I am going to tell in my presentation tomorrow. Now I need to practice it.

Geen opmerkingen: